RSS Feed

The Grind

Hard(ly) at work.

I don’t write much about my job. Half the reason is decorous—it would be in bad taste to criticize my coworkers when they aren’t around to defend themselves. (Why I don’t think this rule applies to the friends and family I throw under the bus on a triweekly basis… well, you’ll just have to figure that shit out for yourself.) The other half is accidental. Considering how I revel in the pointing of fingers, for tease-centric purposes, I must be pretty damn content with my career if it doesn’t come up even casually. There’s bullshit, sure, but what is work if not a necessity grown from the mitigation of bullshit?

I’m super deep today.

For those not in the know (i.e. most of you), I’m a property manager. Wikipedia says my duties include “finding/evicting and generally dealing with tenants, home repair, home improvement, cleaning, garden maintenance, landscaping, and snow removal, to be coordinated with the owner’s wishes.” True enough, but, primarily, my job is to translate Plain English for tenants and vendors that only skim my written solutions. (When I finally succumb to dementia, “it’s in the e-mail I sent” will likely be the only six words I can remember.) I also have to correct a great deal of math, as most companies seem to train their employees on an abacus.

But my job’s biggest bugaboo—as well as its greatest perk—is the food. Between snack days and potlucks, luncheons and networking dinners, random shindigs and holiday bashes, annual bake-offs and REITery (our company’s fancy, monthly brunch), I could never spend money on food again and stay pleasantly plump on what they feed us. (The kids would suffer, but I don’t remember anyone accusing me of being a good mom.) Factor in a food blog… I’m eating seven meals a day like a fucking Hobbit. And I hate Hobbits. Does that make me a heightist? Probably. And I’m fine with that, as long as you think I’m thin.

I’m super deep today.

Pear & Bacon French Toast Casserole

How to get promoted.

• 1 large loaf artisan bread
  • 1 large pear
  • 1 lb bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 8–10 oz shredded gruyere or gouda (I used a goats milk gouda)
  • 2 dozen eggs
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper

Tear loaf into pieces and place in the bottom of a large roasting pan (this recipe feeds a crowd). Top with peeled and diced pear, cooked bacon and shredded cheese. Whisk eggs with maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Pour over other ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350˚ for 50–60 minutes or until the center is set. This can be served with additional maple syrup on top, but it’s not necessary. I made this to go with my savory cheesecake to wow the breakfast crowd at work. I succeeded.

I know, poor little me. What a blessing it is to be employed at all in these trying times, let alone have a gig so cushy it actually fattens its workers with decadence. If it’s any consolation, at least I have an awesome window office, and everybody there loves me.

TWTG says, “It was my pooping phone.”

About these ads

15 responses »

1. I don’t talk much about work because I am afraid of lawsuits! :)
    Cheers,
    Laura

2. I love my job and my company feeds us well, and often. I have never been ashamed of getting my share of the company fat (literally). I also have no shame in loving your french toast casserole. YUM – pear and bacon together? Hell-freaking-yeah.

• My job is great and they treat us really well. The benefits cannot be beaten. Try me. I’ll win.

The casserole is a twist on what my family has been making for every holiday morning for years. It’s so simple and you can substitute just about anything but the eggs. I’m sure you’ll see more stratas on the blog.

3. Eh, let the kids forage for their own food. It builds character. Meanwhile this casserole sounds awesome.

4. Snow removal? Clearly the wiki was not writing the job description for your geographic locale! And may I say – you are looking perfectly slender these days. That corporate decadence doesn’t seem to be harming you at all. (You’re taking it home to the kids, right?)

• Aw, thanks Brian. Let me first say that the picture above is about 2 years old and 20 lbs ago (F U 40!) And I do deal with snow removal. I manage commercial properties all over the country. I get to bask in sunny San Diego while my tenants suffer Nor’easters. I’m hardly every mean about it, either.

• So you’ll come run my snowblower? I’m in the snow belt on the south side of Lake Ontario. We had a wimpy winter this time around – only got 80 inches. On the flip side, if it gets over 85, we start to melt.

Hey – I work in a former industrial site now owned by a California management group. Maybe you ARE plowing my snow! That would be too cool.

5. On the residential side of real estate, we have a hell of a Tuesday tradition of agent open houses with all manner of offerings to get people into your listings. I always seek out tacos but there is an agent in my office who can kill with cookies. Another one isn’t afraid to serve beer. When I’m holding an open house I do chili or stuffed shells. Recipes here: http://mightstainyourshirt.com/2012/03/01/a-move-in-able-feast-with-recipes/ Real estate is a gluttonous endeavor.

6. This was amazingly delicious, by the way. Best snack day yet! :)

7. I think you might be my hero.